Wednesday 5 May 2010

London, Aeroplane, Dallas, Aeroplane, Sao Paulo, Aeroplane, Asuncion, Aeroplane, Finally Cochabamba

After the epic 60+ hours trip across the globe and several different airports I now consider myself to be somewhat of an airport and aeroplane connoisseur.

Started the long journey from Cardiff at 5am on Thursday morning, got to Heathrow Terminal 3 in plenty of time. It is a pretty decent terminal, and I was just glad to be getting rid of my huge backpack. I checked it through to Sao Paulo and just prayed it would get there in one piece.

The flight to Dallas was around ten hours, it went quite quickly as I read the Guardian cover to cover and American Airlines has the on demand headset tv´s. I watched the American Office (episode was the Golden ticket one: Brilliant) and I watched Invictus which was ok but Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman´s South African accents were awful. I started to watch The Messenger which I was quite enjoying but was interrupted by a video on visa control at Dallas Airport and then I could not start it up at the same place again, annoying. The vegan meal on flight was fine, some rice and chili mixture and some fruit. I was shocked on the flight at how green the Texas landscape was, it looked just like Wales, though I expected it to be just desert.

Dallas Fort Worth is a small airport but it was ok to spend a few hours in. In-fact I did not spend that long there as the queue for passport control off the plane was outrageous. I spent an hour and a half there and the queue doubled in size after I got through so I felt very sorry for those at the back.

At Dallas I managed to grab some Veggie friendly food, a houmous and veg wrap and a yoghurt, which I had to throw away because it tasted nothing like yoghurt, awful American version full of additives!

Flight to Sao Paulo was overnight, I knew I needed to sleep because I had a long day ahead of me at Sao Paulo Airport.American Airlines do not do a veggie option on flights to Latin America (No idea why) but I was not bothered as I had already eaten at the airport. As hard as I tried to sleep I just could not, due to the fact that the turbulence was awful over the Gulf of Mexico. Finally drifted off and got 3 or 4 hours light sleep, woke at like 6am when they served a croissant and a yoghurt (which did taste like yoghurt, hooray!) and landed at Sao Paulo around 7.30am. Last section of the flight was awesome, got to see so much of the landscape which was stunning. Sadly blighted by quarrys or logging camps, man´s destruction obvious to see.

Thankfully my bag arrived in Sao Paulo, got through customs and immigration fine.In South America they do not speak to you at all, as opposed to the US where they grill you forever. I plonked myself down on a seat in the airport, cable locked my bags to the chair. I proceeded to read Cosmo cover to cover as well as some crappy free book that came with it, which frankly I feel has lowered my intellect irreversibly! Awful! I just had a cereal bar for lunch as I could not carry my hand luggage and my backpack and get food!

Finally i checked my bag in around 6pm, very long day! and I proceeded to look for Veggie food, of which I found nothing. The airport was ok,bit dingy for my liking.

I got on my flight to Asuncion at 9.30, we were late taking off by about half an hour.Tam airlines reminded me a lot of easy jet, however to my surprise on a 1 and a half hour flight they had a full meal service and it was veggie, result! I kept drifting in and out of sleep and we landed at Asuncion around 11.

Asuncion is a small airport, but probably nicer than Cardiff´s! I had heard things about having to bribe customs to let you into the country, but I had no trouble. I went upstairs when I found a few other people who were sleeping at the airport and I settled down for the night.I drifted in and out of sleep,when I woke I found there were many small children in the airport offering to shine peoples shoes, they were so young and they were there all night, it was awful to see.

I woke around 6am and waited for my flight to Cochabamba at 11.10, the flight was amazing.Bolivia´s landscape is so beautiful, just miles and miles of mountains and desert.We stopped in Santa Cruz to drop people off and finally made it to Cochabamba at 1.50. It was a long trip but worthwhile, Cochabamba is beautiful and in the next few days I will let you know all about Bolivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment